The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is a beautiful destination for hikers and outdoor enthusiasts alike. With over 100 miles of hiking trails, it can be tough to choose just five, but here are my top picks for the best hikes in the area:
Mt. Tammany Trail
- This trail is a popular option and for good reason. It's a 3.5-mile loop trail that offers stunning views of the Delaware Water Gap and the surrounding mountains. The hike is considered moderately difficult, with some steep inclines and rocky terrain. Hikers can choose to take the red dot trail for a more challenging ascent or the blue trail for a more gradual climb. The view at the top is worth the effort!
Sunfish Pond Trail
- This is a 9.8-mile out-and-back trail that is rated as moderate. It's a peaceful hike that takes you through the woods and along a stream before reaching the picturesque Sunfish Pond. The pond itself is a great spot for a picnic or just to relax and take in the scenery.
Three Mountain Ponds Trail
- This is a 5-mile loop trail that is rated as easy. It's a lesser-known trail, so it's perfect if you're looking for a quieter hike. The total elevaton gain on this hike is 459 feet making it a easy stroll. It's a peaceful and scenic hike that's perfect for nature lovers.
- This one is just over the boarder in Pennsylvania along the delware river. This is a 32-mile trail that runs along the Delaware River and is perfect for hikers of all skill levels. The trail is broken up into several smaller sections, so you can choose to do just a portion of it if you prefer. The trail is mostly flat and offers great views of the river and surrounding mountains.
All Trails - Hike Info
Buttermilk Falls Trail
- This is a short, hard trail that is nice challange for anyone thats not aegualr hiker or anyone looking for a quick hike. The trail is only 2.8 miles long and starts at the stunning Buttermilk Falls. The begining of the hike is a series of stairs that climbs next to teh falls. Once youre at the top its an easier incline in elevation. If you wish to just see the falls and not hike you can do that as well! We have a blog of the perfect day trip to the falls that you can read here. The waterfall is a great spot for a picnic or just to take a break and enjoy the scenery.
Overall, the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area offers a wide variety of hiking trails for hikers of all levels. Whether you're looking for a challenging hike with stunning views or a peaceful stroll through the woods, you're sure to find a trail that fits your needs. Happy hiking!